Saturday, February 22, 2014

In praise of... Jonathan Calder

In a time when there is so much unpleasantness on the internet, especially in the sphere of politics, it is occasionally nice to be reminded that quality tends to outlast outrage, that humour outlasts insult, and this was brought to mind recently when, in my capacity as Newsletter Editor for my Local Party, I was asked if it was possible to publish Lord Bonkers' Diary for the edification of our members.

Admittedly, I wasn't entirely convinced that it would work here in Mid Suffolk, but I gave my word to ask. And it dawned on me that, if our Chair was so keen, it says an awful lot for the work of probably the consistently best writer amongst the Liberal Democrat blogosphere that his influence has reached our quiet corner of East Anglia.

It may be a mite unfair, but to some extent the genius that is Lord Bonkers has perhaps overshadowed the sheer diversity and quality of the rest of his blogging and column writing, which is a dreadful pity, and a loss to a wider audience. I will admit here that his writings on Shropshire occasionally pass me by - is it really as wonderful as Suffolk? - but his writing on authors, his occasional chiding of the Party leadership, his publication of videos of a world now almost lost, is usually thought-provoking and nearly always well-crafted.

And yet, despite his prodigious posting rate, and the high regard in which he is generally held, he remains as award-free as I am, which seems a little wrong.

These days, with more time on my hands, I have the scope to read more, and if some of that time is spent reading Liberal England, It won't be time wasted. So, thank you, Jonathan, and do let Lord Bonkers know that Ros is looking forward to a visit to Bonkers Hall at some point - she might be able to reduce the levels of food waste at the Home for Well Behaved Orphans...

No comments: