Friday, June 03, 2016

Creeting St Peter - a return to the Parish Council

In the midst of the hubbub of my unsuccessful campaign to be elected as a District Councillor for Barking and Somersham, the resignation of the Chair of our Parish Council, not only as Chair but as a Councillor full stop, created an unexpected vacancy.

It was suggested that I might put myself forward, given the changes in the make-up of the council, and I decided that, if I was likely to be welcome, I would do so. It turned out that I was, and so, on 16 May, having raced from the Annual Parish Meeting at Offton and Willisham, I arrived at the Church Room at the end of The Lane, slightly breathless.

Having caught my breath, a somewhat easier task now that I'm a couple of stones lighter, the relevant agenda item was moved, having been postponed pending my arrival, and after a brief speech by me to say how pleased I was to have an opportunity to serve my village again, my co-option was passed unanimously. They had also held back the appointments to outside bodies, and I was promptly put back onto the Stowmarket and District Road Safety Committee. I also share duties as our representative at the local Suffolk Association of Local Councils group with our new Chair, Machala Peecock.

Do you know something? It's good to be home...

2 comments:

Frank Little said...

Commiserations on the by-election miss, but congratulations on the parish council appointment.

Mark Valladares said...

Frank,

Thank you for those kind words. I've got a few things to turn my attention to now, and I suspect that others will have ideas as to how I might fill my spare time...