Monday, April 08, 2013

RIP Margaret Thatcher... and now for the pointless vitriol...

The news that Baroness Thatcher has passed away comes as no great surprise. Ros had noted that she was an increasingly infrequent attender in the Lords and looked quite frail when she did turn up.

And now that her passing has been reported, the world and her grandmother have been quick to impart their wisdom (or otherwise). Oh yes, I do have my views on her impact on politics, on our country and our world, but there's time enough for that.

However, it's been many years since she was Prime Minister, and a lot of the actions taken by her Government have stood the test of time. You might not like them much, especially if you were on the wrong end of them, but much of what was done needed to be done, and was never undone, even by a Labour administration with big majorities.

Sadly, there are already reports of people celebrating her passing, and that's rather sad. She was, after all, a human being, doing what she thought was best, and had a democratic mandate to do it.

So, it would be nice if those critics focussed on what she did, and why it was wrong, rather than abuse a caricature of the person they longed for her to be.

I won't be holding my breath...

2 comments:

Small Town Man said...

I agree with you. Most of the protesters weren't even around when she was PM.

You might find my blog interesting? We're also in Suffolk - but I'll leave you guess where...

http://smalltownman.wordpress.com

Mark Valladares said...

Small Town Man,

Fascinating blog - I do appreciate someone who employs wit, sarcasm and irony and does so well.

I'll give some thought to where, although my wife, who's rather better at 'spot the Suffolk town' than I am wonders if Framlingham is a possibility. Sounds nice though...